Friday, March 30, 2012
Oh-my-lanta, our trip is tomorrow! I've been so lucky to have the first week of my hiatus to make lists, gather supplies, and pack. I so hope we're prepared. The worrier in me will never be satisfied, but I've done my best to shush her for the time being.
Jeff is so wonderful. He's been coming home every evening practicing his French on me. I am completely impressed! He's been at it only a week and is already understanding sentence structure. I figured I'd be the one to guide us around Paris, but now I'm not so sure.
We'll arrive in London Sunday afternoon. I hope we'll have the energy to tackle at least a few things that day. I'd love to go to Hyde Park or maybe Covent Garden, then blow off some travel steam with a few pints in a pub. No shopping this go round, our trip will be all about food and drink.
I'm officially signing off for the next week, but I'll be back in April with so many vacation details your head will spin ;) In the meantime, you can find me on Instagram under the username anylovelything where I'll be posting pics in real time of our London and Paris adventures.
Monday, March 26, 2012
I've been in the baking mood for weeks, but had to put the brakes on until my cold passed. During that time I dreamt up all sorts of not very good for my waistline treats to pass the days. The timeless American classic, the ice cream sandwich, is such a simple yet stunning frozen dessert.
Let's get to baking and making!
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
In an effort to cut calories, I used 1% instead of whole milk. I also flipped the amount of milk to cream in the original recipe found in the Cuisinart recipe book that accompanied the ice cream maker. The ice cream is a tad softer right out of the device, but just pop it in the freezer for an hour or so to let it firm up.
Chocolate Chip Cookies:
The recipe I used is straight from the bag of chocolate chips.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 pkg. chocolate chips
Once cookies have cooled and ice cream is firm, it's time to marry the two. Ice Cream, do you take Cookie to be your lawfully wedded wife? Cookie, do you take Ice Cream to be your lawfully wedded husband? You do?! Excellent.
The classic and simple ice cream sandwich, there's nothing like it.
Friday, March 16, 2012
Brrr! It's brisk and drizzly in West LA today. I've been waiting for just this kind of weather to do a Sendra boot photo shoot. I still maintain that these boots are super comfy and the craftsmanship is just beautiful.
Guess what?! This site is officially a ".com" You can find me from here on out at anylovelything.com! Currents of excitement are giddily running through my little blog's veins.
My sister designed the new header, which I'm very happy about. She did a superb job and now I feel ALT looks a little less cookie cutter. Thank you thank you thank you, Allison!
"May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand."
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
|Inspiration around the house|
I've been a bit under the weather for the past few days. Spending a precious weekend sick in bed is enough to get anyone down. It's now my mission to look on the bright side and do my darndest to find the silver lining.
Here's a sampling of my "ups"
- Finished Emma!
- Celebrated by watching Clueless.
- Bonded with my favorite little kitties.
- Had meals made for me and brought up to bed. (Thank you, Jeff!)
- Had time to think (and stress) about our trip.
- Thought up ideas for upcoming posts when I'm back to 100%.
Friday, March 9, 2012
- Here are a few snapshots from last weekend. Jeff and I did make it to 800 Degrees and it far surpassed my expectations. I love a good Neapolitan style pie and this was perfectly floppy in the center with a delectable crispy crust. Afterwards we stopped by Diddy Riese and took advantage of their incredible $1.50 ice cream and cookie sandwich. I had chocolate ice cream bookended by peanut butter and sugar cinnamon cookies. "Yummo!"-Rachel Ray
- Sunday we went for a hike. It was hot. I got sweaty. I hate hiking and being sweaty. My boyfriend has a different opinion and Saturday we're headed to Malibu to go for, get this? Another hike. Can you feel the excitement?
- Our trip is quickly approaching and I've got to-do list a mile long. I hope I conquer much of it this weekend so I can concentrate on the fun stuff. I love the fun stuff! One of the fun things being this beer cocktail featured on Shop Sweet Things earlier in the week.
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
As you may or may not know, Jeff and I have a European vacation planned for the end of the month. I've been on a desperate desperate search for a well made and good lookin' pair of flat boots to keep my feet toasty and dry. Oh, and comfort is a MUST. I've searched the internets in hopes of finding my ideal pair for weeks, only to realize that I'm much more a bricks and mortar kind of girl. My darling friend Mae, who has laser like vision, and I went shopping this weekend. We stopped by Nordstrom Rack and she grabbed these boots within minutes of shelf scanning.
"Oh, Mae, studs...not really my thing. Hmm...I'll try them on, I guess." Whoa-ly Cow! I loved them. The fit my feet beautifully and are so expertly made. The quality in person is just gorgeous. You ever have one of those meant-to-be moments while shopping? Like, this item was made for you and fate brought the two of you together? That's how I feel with these boots.
I took them for a test run yesterday and wore them for 10 hours with zero complaints. I can't really believe it myself. I'll be spending quite a few more hours in them before our trip just to be sure. I'd never heard of the brand Sendra before, but I'll remember their name forever now.